Searching for NY orphan ancestor

Welcome! Forums Forum about the Fairview Home for Friendless Children Searching for NY orphan ancestor

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Carolyn Greenwood-Wagner

Many thanks to everyone who is responsible for organizing and putting the information of this home online. I keep hitting brick walls in my search for a direct ancestor of ours. Susan D. Ferguson was born in 1825, New York and married my 2grgrandfather in 1843 in Yell County, Arkansas. Family legend has it that Susan worked and then spent what she could save, after she left the orphanage, to head west. Her funds took her as far as the port of the Arkansas River in Yell, County, AR. Here she met her future husband. Died in 1860 of typhoid fever. Was this a common action by many orphans who came of age in orphanages in the Eastern US during the pre-civil war days?

We do not know of which New York community she was in and or the name of the facility but she was knowledgeable of her birth name, recording this in the family bible but not her parents names or origins.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions of where we could look should there be any chance of locating her origins, we would be forever grateful.

Sincerely,
      Carolyn Greenwood-Wagner
      carolynwagner@fuah.org

Anonymous

Greetings! I’ve been reading your site for some time
      now and finally got the courage to go ahead and
      give you a shout out from Porter Tx! Just wanted
      to tell you keep up the excellent work!

Anonymous

Greetings! I’ve been reading your site for some time
      now and finally got the courage to go ahead and
      give you a shout out from Porter Tx! Just wanted
      to tell you keep up the excellent work!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.